OK, I’m finally getting back to my bathroom makeover! With Thanksgiving, having a part in our community theater production and taking a mini anniversary getaway, I got a little sidetracked. Not only that, but I left my camera at the theater and all the pics were on my SD card. In my first post I shared how we saved money by painting the vanity and medicine cabinet rather than buying new. I did a couple of other things that garnered significant savings as well.
But first, the finished product. I SOOO wish I had some before shots. Basically, the lower half of the wall was a tan with the upper an off-white. The ceiling was moss green with green accents throughout. It was looking a bit tired and in desperate need of repainting. Here is how it looks now.
This picture was taken after I’d painted the darker color. You can see the drywall mud patches on the lighter wall. I’m afraid it’s as close to a before as I have.
The first thing I did to save money was to check the “Oops!” paint at Home Depot. Last April I purchased a shower curtain that I knew I wanted to base the bathroom around. The curtain was white, chocolate brown, teal, and a weird brownish/tanish/gold. I couldn’t decide which colors I wanted there, though. I really loved the teal, but didn’t want to overdo it.
On a trip through Home Depot I happened upon a can of Oops! paint that looked like it matched the “weird” color in the shower curtain. I didn’t have the curtain with me, so was trying to remember as best I could. It happened to be a Behr semi-gloss, which was just what I needed. Regular price was $25, but this can was $5. I grabbed it up, hoping it would, indeed be a match. Check it out! Is that close, or what?!
I purchased a can of white paint that I’ll also use to finish our mudroom trim and a can of the blue/green (Gulf Winds). I was able to use a brown that I already had (Bear Rug) for the vanity, medicine cabinet and shelf. I only used the blue on the ceiling. It’s my favorite of the three colors, but I worried it could become a bit “much”. I accessorized with it as well. I may go ahead and paint the outside of the clawfoot tub with it. I ended up spending right around $50 for the paint, total.
My next “trick” was to paint the hardware rather than buying new. The previous hardware was a combination of shiny and brushed nickel. I painted it all with a can of metallic oil rubbed bronze spray paint with primer for under $6.00. I’m very happy with the transformation.
Here you can see the cabinets with the “new” knobs.
And here is a shot of the sink where you can see quite a bit of the silver repainted. I even masked off the Q-tip and cotton ball holders and painted them as well. You might also note the bowl I’m using as a soap dish. All the soap dishes I liked were $8.97, which seemed a bit excessive. I happened to find this bowl, which matches PERFECTLY for only $2.97.
So there you have it; my budget bathroom makeover. We’re all really enjoying it!